Friday, October 30, 2009

Cul de Sac

I might have titled this post "Even more new" but in fact, this piece has been in the works for several months. It has been the source of much consternation. It was thrown to the bottom of a pile of discarded ideas and concepts that go awry. But BJ said not to throw it away. So I did not. It was good advice.

I completed the piece last night and didn't go to bed until after it was laundered. Any quilt maker knows just how incredibly wonderful it is to pull a quilt out of the dryer. Extensive stitching through the layers creates such wonderful texture. But that texture is heightened with the bit of shrinking that takes place with laundering and heat. The result is no less than spectacular.

So at 1:30 this morning, as I stepped out of the laundry room, I fell in love with this piece. It's quickly becoming one of my all time favorites.

(You should be able to click on the image for a closer view)

5 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb Lacativa said...

It's been a while since I've pulled one hot from the dryer for that surprise moment. I usually only do it with utility quilts but it's time to wash and dry a few UFOs to see what character they may have buried in the threads.

thanks for the reminder.

Ann said...

Same here. So often, my work incorporates fabric that cannot be washed. It's nice to go back to cotton. Interestingly, I found myself getting so frustrated with the quilt because I thought it lacked all the depth and texture that you get with paint and dye. I have to relearn how to trust the stitching.

bj parady said...

looks like I was right :) Excellent piece.

denise said...

When I saw it my first thought was "dandelions". The circles remind me of the airiness of a seed head.